24 September 2016
Get the look: three gender neutral nursery themes
When I fell pregnant with my eldest, my husband and I had struggled to fall (and stay) pregnant for a couple of years, so there was a strong sense of hesitation to plan for our upcoming arrival, despite our excitement. As soon as we hit the all-important 12-week mark, I started my nursery-planning boards on Pinterest, but kept them set to secret until we were 20 weeks in – just to be sure.
When I finally felt free to post nursery colour schemes and style boards for all to see, planning my daughter’s nursery became a really important bonding experience for me (she was still rather oblivious!) Visualising life with our little one sleeping, and eventually playing, in her room helped me to focus on enjoying my pregnancy rather than fearing what might go wrong, and creating the perfect environment for her was just a beautiful journey.
I’d had enough surprises by that stage so we found out our baby’s sex at the 20-week scan, but if you’ve decided to wait until your tiny miracle arrives for that super-sweet surprise, then why should you miss out on all the fun?
I’ve put together three gender-neutral nursery style boards to inspire you (even if you’re still pinning to a secret board!) What’s more, every single item on these boards is handmade by a clever maker, right here in Australia. See, your bub is already shaping up to be an awesome supporter of the arts and local businesses!
Wander into the woods with a woodland themed nursery
1. Fox plush softie, $75 from A Life In The Making
2. Woodland quilt and cushion set, $150 Baby’s Room
3. Little Deer A4 art print, $15 from The Whimsical Wall
4. Wall decal, $36 from Fixate
5. Custom-made 3D rabbit embroidery hoop, $60 from Friends in the Leaves
6. Chunky knit merino throw, $360 from Chunky Knits by Jo
7. Squirrel Cushion, 50 x 50cm $45 from Claire Megan Designs
8. Fantasy Woodland fabric storage basket, $25 from Pumpkin Pie Creations
9. Baby deer doorstop, $25 from Gozi and Pop
Think you’re having a little daydreamer or an explorer? If their head belongs in the clouds, this sky-high nursery is perfect.
1. Hot air balloon garland, $27.99 from Poppy & Chi
2. Monochrome cloud wall hanging, $15 from Isabelle Mary Creations
3. Moon & Back laser-cut bamboo wall art, $28 from the little card boutique
4. Super fine merino wool baby blanket, $160 from Merino Knits
5. Cloud mobile, $30 from Milbot & Chooky
6. Hot air balloon baby keepsake box, $40 from Renaye’s Keepsake
7. Crochet and recycled timber ottoman, $495 from Jdog & T
If, like our family, you’re ocean-hearted, you’ll love these calming sea-blues and neutral tones and adorable sea creatures.
1. Stained glass turtle sun-catcher, $17 from The Glass Gumleaf
2. Personalised watercolour whale banner, $11 from Hip Ink Hooray
3. Beach mirror, $49 from Set Adrift
4. Crochet blanket, $82.50 from Plushka
5. Custom seahorse mobile, $120 from birdynumnum design co.
6. Whale cushion, $70 from Coco & Milo
7. Plush whale, $15 from Month of May
8. Knotted rope vessel, $75 from No+El
Have you already got a theme or colour scheme picked out? I’d love to know what you’re planning so don’t hold back – let me know in the comments!
Louise (a.k.a. “Mrs Made It”)
Wordsmith, art & craft enthusiast, and grand-visionary.